• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

If you look at the SRCDS walkthrough I threw together real quick, I tried being as generalized as possible in regards to command line usage, that way GUI folks & CLI folks will get the same general information.

My question is, should we forgo the GUI users and make it as newby friendly as possible for CLI users? Or should we do CLI for the *nix crowd, and GUI for the Windows crowd? Or do seperate walkthroughs for BOTH GUI & CLI for both OS's?

My stance is, screw the GUI, as most *nix users will be doing anything server related via CLI anyways. Not sure what to do about Windows users myself.....

Discuss please.
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#2 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Ideally I think we should keep the tutorials written for the common interface of each respective OS. The question comes down to: do we support GUI for mac users? While macs are based on *nix, I doubt most of them are familiar with cli. Ultimately, do we even really 'care' about the mac crowd who would be setting up servers purely for isolated lans? Personally I don't think we should.

As such:
- CLI for nix distros
- - Most linux server admins are familiar with cli and if they aren't its still pretty straight forward
- GUI for windows
- - Windows admins are typically use to remote desktop or being physically there: both of which use a GUI.
:|: ColdSun/DeathZero :|: UA Web Development :|:
Infamy Gaming :|: The AOW

#3 SirSquidness

SirSquidness

n00b

• Staff
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:08 PM

Do the windows guide for the GUI, but at the point when the server files are all set up and ready to run, make a note saying that if you wish to run in CLI mode, add -console to the startup parameters, and see the server operation section of the linux CLI guide for further information (since running a linux CLI server is the same as running a windows CLI server)
The one.
THE ONLY.
SirSquidness!

#4 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

Ideally I think we should keep the tutorials written for the common interface of each respective OS. The question comes down to: do we support GUI for mac users? While macs are based on *nix, I doubt most of them are familiar with cli. Ultimately, do we even really 'care' about the mac crowd who would be setting up servers purely for isolated lans? Personally I don't think we should.

As such:
- CLI for nix distros
- - Most linux server admins are familiar with cli and if they aren't its still pretty straight forward
- GUI for windows
- - Windows admins are typically use to remote desktop or being physically there: both of which use a GUI.

See that's what I was thinking too, but I know for some admins they still do CLI stuff in Windows (like me - I even renamed hldsupdatetool.exe to steam.exe just for continuity sake on my setup), which is why I hesitated to leave Windows CLI stuff in the wind as it were.

Do the windows guide for the GUI, but at the point when the server files are all set up and ready to run, make a note saying that if you wish to run in CLI mode, add -console to the startup parameters, and see the server operation section of the linux CLI guide for further information (since running a linux CLI server is the same as running a windows CLI server)

That sounds good. So far, it sounds like 3 'votes' for Windows = gui walkthrough, and *nix = cli walkthrough. We got some more people I'd like to hear from, but if they don't weigh in by monday, then the above way is how we're going to format it then .....

#5 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

While its true some more skilled admins are able to use a cli for windows, I think it might be slightly short sighted to assume they wouldn't have the know-how to read the steps here, and correctly perform them on their own. The way I justified it in my head was "I would rather have the less informed admins able to perform the steps and not accidently choose to try the CLI means".
:|: ColdSun/DeathZero :|: UA Web Development :|:
Infamy Gaming :|: The AOW

#6 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

also think about the users, that sometimes can only use either cli or the gui.

so we should provide both ways. This way nobody is left behind.

#7 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Rather than sending people to the middle of another OS guide, just split the guide up. For example, the initial installation is going to vary by OS. Even then, there may be different methods, which can all be addressed in the Wiki. But, focus on the main routes first, then add (See Also) links to the alternatives.

At some point, the configuration becomes common, both OS guides will eventually feed into this one. It's also quite common, which we should have a forward link, that the GSP has done steps 1-x for the admin, of which they just need to further configure it.

I just think that sending Windows admins into Linux guides will be confusing, and Linus admins tend to get bitchy if you send them into Windows guides.

#8 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

yep.

the documentation for HLStats was also splitted for every os.
some points where the same but we did not mix it. It will only confuse the user if we jump between the guides.
This way we have multiple content (but only a small amount) but the user will bot be confused

#9 Michael

Michael

n00b

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

I agree the GUI part for the Windows crowd is important. When I first fired up a Counter-Strike server it was in GUI mode and THEN I found information on console mode and its benefits. So a basic tutorial on the GUI functions is a good idea in my opinion as it familiarizes the person with basic commands they will recognize using the CLI ex kick, ban etc.

#10 FatDaddy

FatDaddy

n00b

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

I always show both throughout my tutorials. Here is a sample one I threw together today - My Guide

Let me know your thoughts.
HL2 Servers @ HLAdmins Servers

#11 Dead_Man

Dead_Man

n00b

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:23 AM

looks good.

when i do my servers at the lans i help with we generally run CLI for them. however some of the servers we just throw in randomly we use a GUI on.

maybe have the initial install for SRCDS on *nix and windows seperate and then have a joint section for the rest since after the initial install its pretty much all the same.

being reasonable most admins the use *nix know how to use vi to edit configs/etc or server hosts will get them using FTP to upload configs.

#12 Semtex

Semtex

n00b

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

If you look at the SRCDS walkthrough I threw together real quick, I tried being as generalized as possible in regards to command line usage, that way GUI folks & CLI folks will get the same general information.

My question is, should we forgo the GUI users and make it as newby friendly as possible for CLI users? Or should we do CLI for the *nix crowd, and GUI for the Windows crowd? Or do seperate walkthroughs for BOTH GUI & CLI for both OS's?

My stance is, screw the https://peblueprint....bathmate-reviewold bathmate GUI, as most *nix users will be doing anything server related via CLI anyways. Not sure what to do about Windows users myself.....

Discuss please.

Is this walkthrough still relevant as it's pretty old now. I think it needs an update.

Edited by Semtex, 28 May 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#13 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Is this walkthrough still relevant as it's pretty old now. I think it needs an update.

No,

I'm afraid the steamcmd tool has made this walkthrough irrelevant. I could update it, and I probably will in the future, but that may not be for a very long time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users