Welcome to the Update System Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

As UA starts working on a new phpUA project, the need for an update system has become clear. This update system, although will be used by phpUA, will be made openly available via an integration API. Our goal is to create an update system for game server admins, which will allow admins to install/update custom maps, plugins, and other files. Think of this as iTunes for game server admins.

The team working on this project will be instrumental in designing and coding the application needed for this project to become a success. We will also need to start building our own server admin content server network (similar to Steam's content servers), to help mirror the distributions and spread the load across the network.

If this is something you're interested in, please reply back. Thank you!

#2 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

this DOES sound interesting, itunes for game servers ... nice. I'll contribute somehow, I guess it's just a matter of seeing what is needed, and taking it from there.
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#3 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Additionally, each UA application should have a means of checking if there is a newer version available for download in their admin panels
Example:

phpUA version: 1.0.0
Newest Version: 1.0.1 (Download)

This would cut down on outdated support tickets as well as reduce outdated code being ran which would be greatly helpful in the event there is a security issue.
:|: ColdSun/DeathZero :|: UA Web Development :|:
Infamy Gaming :|: The AOW

#4 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

isn't that just a simple xml file that needs to be made?

like all of 3 lines or something .... or even one line :P
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#5 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:25 AM

isn't that just a simple xml file that needs to be made?

like all of 3 lines or something .... or even one line :P

it depends on the features you want.
if you just want some notice, then it would be easy.
Every version will have its own key and then it can look for a new key on the update page. Then provides the information where to download.

If you want to make the update automatically it gets tricky, but not impossible.
You will need version numbers and some update process which will work everywhere.

Either way we decide I've done both ways. but it also depends on the script language we will use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users