16 replies to this topic

#1 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:07 AM

Well, short news:

The server and the domain changes the owner to myself.

expect some "not found" or other stuff while this time.
I will respond back if its all done. I hope I can keep the data loss small. (eg. forum post while the transfer is executed)

#2 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Well, short news:

The server and the domain changes the owner to myself.

expect some "not found" or other stuff while this time.
I will respond back if its all done. I hope I can keep the data loss small. (eg. forum post while the transfer is executed)

Jesus did we rouse the sleeping dogs ?

the domain will be transfered from ben to myself, since he didn't want to pay it anymore (or whatever).
I've nothing to pay for this domain ;-)

so no fear everything will be fine and I will be around.

#3 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

I feel this may as well be the time to start discussing an issue I think should be addressed. It seems this migration of the domain and apparently servers seems rather abrupt and has blindsided myself (and Id imagine Bonzai). The last time I talked to Nick, it seemed he was willing to move the servers (and if need be, at the time) domain name to either Bonzai or myself. You (Banana) have not been on IRC for such a long time that your account has even been deactivated. You have, in my eyes completely vanished and have failed to try to keep the ball rolling, yet you seem to have quickly and quietly jumped at the domain name. My question is why? Why have you failed to at least attempt to have a discussion about who should control it, or heck, why haven't you been on IRC for the last year? I personally question what kind of issues can arise from someone who appears to be so uncommunicative and abrasive.
:|: ColdSun/DeathZero :|: UA Web Development :|:
Infamy Gaming :|: The AOW

#4 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:48 AM

there is one thing which brought UA down and will never get it up, are too long discussions.

What was the result talking with all those ppl ?

Nothing.

Ben was the owner, tried to talk to anyone left. He has only reached myself and Kris.
I offered my help, since I can host the domain and do not to pay for.

Nothing will be changed. I do not take anything away from anybody. I'm only taking the chance WITHOUT talking too much.
There were plenty of discussions, and like HD sayd "it comes to value" and not how much we talk about things.

I provide the hosting and do not request anything from you or anyone else.

You can count on my word that I do not want to harm UA, and I kept UA alive long enough to say that.

#5 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

Banana, I have to agree with ColdSun on this one. He and Bonzai are really the main 2 left that are active and wanting to work on UA. So, just transfer the domain over to them. I'll be FTPing the stuff from my side soon as well. This will at least provide them with the ability to make whatever changes without having to wait on anyone else.

ColdSun already mentioned that he had been talking with Ben regarding the domain, so I'm not sure what happened there. Also, it's just a domain, which you can have it point to my server just like Ben has it now without anything failing.

#6 Deto

Deto

n00b

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

darn...
Just when i found out UA is back now you want to "close the shop" again.
Let us know what will happen next.

Yours truly,
Ex Translation Team Leader
Deto
Common sense does not grow in trees.
-------------------------------------
Posted Image

#7 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Banana, I have to agree with ColdSun on this one. He and Bonzai are really the main 2 left that are active and wanting to work on UA. So, just transfer the domain over to them. I'll be FTPing the stuff from my side soon as well. This will at least provide them with the ability to make whatever changes without having to wait on anyone else.

ColdSun already mentioned that he had been talking with Ben regarding the domain, so I'm not sure what happened there. Also, it's just a domain, which you can have it point to my server just like Ben has it now without anything failing.

why did they not work on it ?
If they wanted to get FTP access they could ask you for it or myself ?

Ben was the only one who contacted me via E-Mail (a sure way to reach me) and he said he wanted someone to take over the domain. He said that he was also in contact with Kris but without any result.
then I offered my help to take over the domain, since I have some hosting plan to spare.
I DO NOT WANT to take over UA. No I want only to make sure, that the hosting is safe. Nothing more.

You can have FTP Access etc. if you want to change whatever you like. It is sad that those wishes never reached me, I had the FTP, DB data all the time.

I can understand the "panic" but I will not harm UA in any way. And the possibilities to change something on the server etc. were and are still there.....

Ok anyway, we should calm down.

Here is the current situation:
The domain transfer has been started and will be completed in the next 2 days.
I've moved the data already and will to a mysql dump just before it is done.

Then we have only to wait until the DNS caches are up to date and everything will be just before, and perhaps I can spend some more time.
I have a new job and it looks good now. ( I think HD knows what is it like ... )

#8 BonsaiSamurai

BonsaiSamurai

Server Administrator

• Administrators
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Let's relax. Banana, I have no problem with you hosting the site, provided you are willing to maintain it. Point-in-case, both IPB and MediaWiki are a few versions behind and need to be updated. This is an important task, as the last few years of the old forum's life was spent dealing with an unending stream of people hacking in and posting malicious content (this is why account creation was disabled). And this extends to other tasks, including updating Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin; and ensuring proper backups are taken. Again, if you are comfortable running with it and have the time to dedicate to it; I am comfortable taking your word for it. If not, as I have stated before, I am more than willing and able host the site and take care of all the maintenance.

Same thing goes for the domain name. I have no issue with you owning the domain; as long as you're committed to paying the bill. When you stop being able to pay the bill, I have confidence you will find someone trustworthy to transfer ownership to before letting it expire.

-BonsaiSamurai
UnitedAdmins Web and Email Administrator, Cheerleader, and Random Groupie

Ask not what UA can do for you; ask what you can do for UA.

#9 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Ben was the only one who contacted me via E-Mail (a sure way to reach me) and he said he wanted someone to take over the domain. He said that he was also in contact with Kris but without any result.

Ben also contacted Nick and myself, I replied roughly 24 hours later but found you had already jumped the shark. 24 hours is hardly a slow turn around time.

there is one thing which brought UA down and will never get it up, are too long discussions.

Statements like this are the source of my apprehensiveness in regards to you holding the cards, figuratively. I can not but help question if this motto of yours will effect us further down the line.

You can count on my word that I do not want to harm UA, and I kept UA alive long enough to say that.

Where were you the last year on IRC? There has been quite a few people who looked for support in regard to old scripts. While I do not deny that you've been a part of UA for quite a while, in the last year, you've shown no interest.

Ultimately, if your here to help, that is most certainly fantastic. However, I must once again restate my concern over your "too much talk" motto. It leaves me uneasy, and it reconfirms my previous notions about you being far too single-minded-focused and in turn incredibly abrasive. I was not suggesting we have a long winded debate in regards to something as relatively trivial as the domain, but not even giving a grace period for others to comment is down right questionable. It's not a trait that I've seen work out well in past projects, and infact has been the cause of quite a lot of drama from personal experiences.

#10 BonsaiSamurai

BonsaiSamurai

Server Administrator

• Administrators
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

why did they not work on it ?
If they wanted to get FTP access they could ask you for it or myself ?

Sorry but I need to call you out on that comment. It would be rude to copy/paste your comments out of a private forum, but those that have access can view your thoughts on FTP access here: http://forums.united...indpost__p__222 And as for my end, I have emails and chat logs dating back to February of 2010 discussing server migrations and my hosting concerns. This is not to mention my concerns I posted on the old forums regarding their conditions over the last few years.

-BonsaiSamurai
UnitedAdmins Web and Email Administrator, Cheerleader, and Random Groupie

Ask not what UA can do for you; ask what you can do for UA.

#11 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

darn...
Just when i found out UA is back now you want to "close the shop" again.
Let us know what will happen next.

Yours truly,
Ex Translation Team Leader
Deto

Deto, nothing is closing (at least that's what I took from this thread). The existing site and accompanying data is merely being moved to a new setup.
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#12 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

as you can see some data has been lost.

I don't know why but the change was done and I was already talking in this topic with ColdSun on the new server and DB.
Now the db has been fucked up or whatever. the latest backup is from this morning after the DNS change was done.

I don't know where the error is, or who played with the db.
I hope this will never happen again....

#13 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

I've heard phpmyadmin makes either bad dumps, or has issues importing it's own dumps. If you still have access to the old db, try something else for the data dump and re-import again maybe?
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#14 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

the original import and export was working fine this morning.
I just made a export from the old one this morning and imported this into the new one.

Then it was working and all data was there. Then we started some discussion in this thread in which ColdSun reported some errors, which has been fixed.

Then around 3PM all the DB data was gone and even older as the one which I made from the old db at this morning.....
even this thread was missing. and this was also in the old db available

#15 zigns

zigns

n00b

• Staff
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

whooo this is the longest conversation on ages on Ua ;)

#16 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Yes it really is the longest discussion since the initial Project Phoenix postings. Hopefully its a trend (the activity, not the topic) that maintains steam going onward into the future.

#17 zigns

zigns

n00b

• Staff
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Yes it really is the longest discussion since the initial Project Phoenix postings. Hopefully its a trend (the activity, not the topic) that maintains steam going onward into the future.

Yeah, could allways hope anyway =) Would be good for ua to have some more activites..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users