• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ColdSun

ColdSun

Web Development Team

• Staff
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

Founded in 2001 by HoundDawg, UnitedAdmins (UA) has had a long and relatively influential history through online gaming (be it tutorials, anti-cheats, or stat processors). As of recent years however, its public-face has changed to a much more dormant/lifeless state. This is partly due to real life among most of the UA team, as well as unique individual circumstances. None the less, the passion which we all share for the community still burns strong, and the necessity pointed out by HoundDawg in his post "Phoenix Nest" is still quite evident. As mentioned in the previously mentioned thread, starting and maintaining a game server designed to meet your needs was and still is, a relatively difficult task. It is our hope and focus to re-establish UnitedAdmins as a platform to provide the necessary files, refrences, and how-to information to promote the various platforms related to PC gaming.

It was a year ago that HoundDawg announced the successful completion of the previous 'Project Phoenix' which was focused on developing a stable framework for UnitedAdmins to communicate with the community. While the staff may have lost direction after the initial project, the lessons learned and the foundation developed, will most certainly continued to be utilized during this continued endeavor. While a good deal has already been done in regards to establishing a plethora of communication tools (wiki, forums, irc channel, etc) we must still stress that the site is in heavy development. Any and all inconsistencies in regards to design, functionality, or place-holder content will be addressed. Feedback during this process is of course greatly appreiated, so please do not hesitate let us know what you think.

Additionally, I would personally like to present a request to the community. That request is to simply reply to this thread with what you feel UnitedAdmins should focus on. A few potential topics which could stimulate the growth of the community are briefly listed below:
  • What do you feel is lacking in the community as a Server Admin
  • What do you feel is currently covered adequately
  • What do you feel UnitedAdmins did the best in the past
  • What do you feel UnitedAdmins could improve on the most from it's previous forms

UnitedAdmins is here for the community, but the only way UA can successfully meet the needs of the community is through the participation of the community.
:|: ColdSun/DeathZero :|: UA Web Development :|:
Infamy Gaming :|: The AOW

#2 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Wiki Moderator

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

Founded in 2001 by HoundDawg, UnitedAdmins (UA) has had a long and relatively influential history through online gaming (be it tutorials, anti-cheats, or stat processors). As of recent years however, its public-face has changed to a much more dormant/lifeless state. This is partly due to real life among most of the UA team, as well as unique individual circumstances. None the less, the passion which we all share for the community still burns strong, and the necessity pointed out by HoundDawg in his post "Phoenix Nest" is still quite evident. As mentioned in the previously mentioned thread, starting and maintaining a game server designed to meet your needs was and still is, a relatively difficult task. It is our hope and focus to re-establish UnitedAdmins as a platform to provide the necessary files, references, and how-to information to promote the various platforms related to PC gaming.

It was a year ago that HoundDawg announced the successful completion of the previous 'Project Phoenix' which was focused on developing a stable framework for UnitedAdmins to communicate with the community. While the staff may have lost direction after the initial project, the lessons learned and the foundation developed, will most certainly continued to be utilized during this continued endeavor. While a good deal has already been done in regards to establishing a plethora of communication tools (wiki, forums, irc channel, etc) we must still stress that the site is in heavy development. Any and all inconsistencies in regards to design, functionality, or place-holder content will be addressed. Feedback during this process is of course greatly appreciated, so please do not hesitate let us know what you think.

Additionally, I would personally like to present a request to the community. That request is to simply reply to this thread with what you feel UnitedAdmins should focus on. A few potential topics which could stimulate the growth of the community are briefly listed below:

• What do you feel is lacking in the community as a Server Admin
  • What do you feel is currently covered adequately
  • What do you feel UnitedAdmins did the best in the past
  • What do you feel UnitedAdmins could improve on the most from it's previous forms

UnitedAdmins is here for the community, but the only way UA can successfully meet the needs of the community is through the participation of the community.

that has been our ongoing problem, is the community participation. I know I just up and disappeared one day with no explanation, but in any case, to answer the 4 questions above ...

1: Man this one is hard to pin down. Besides a truly central repository of general game server config examples and walkthroughs and other miscellaneous info, I almost want to say a lack of patience. Everyone has gotten so used to the internet delivering whatever they want quickly, that when they have to wait a day or a week for well ... anything, really ... they quickly lose patience and either rant & rave about shitty developers or just up and leave and move on to something else. The internet has given us all severe a.d.d.

Something else gaming is lacking, is options. I don't mean games types (fps, top down, rpg, ots) or games in general. I mean stuff like server admin, or stats collecting. And even when there are "options", most of them aren't good OR are basically copycats of each other. There may be lone standouts to the point where it's almost a "standard" that for instance, say you run a TF2 server. What admin program do you use? Sourcemod. Your choice in stats are either Psychostats or a derivative of HLstats. (I'm NOT bashing either product in anyway, they're both awesome products!).

Yeah there's alternatives, but it's to the point of ... why? Why would you want to use something other then SourceMod? And there in lies part of the problem, there's no real options in choice.

2: Currently? The wiki -> forum comments integration, and our coverage of how to install HLDS/SRCDS in both Linux and Windows... What else do we offer on the wiki now?

3: What we did best in the past? HoundDawg got a ton of like-minded people to work together, and brought in various developers to work on their project here, where UA could more easily help support the project, relieving the support burden off the "coders". Anti-cheat was big back in the day, but now what do have for any game? 2 options: Punkbuster, and VAC. Some really good coders have put together some SourceMod plugins to help combat cheating, but they have no support from any game developers it seems (I could be wrong though), and it only works on SRCDS based games.

4: What to improve on over the past? Hard to say. Maybe a business plan, and make it a non-profit group or something. Get a dedicated staff or volunteers to review hardware or games. It seems the only way to survive is to have a business mentality (managers, peons, and whatnot). I think UA tried this route already in the past though, not sure.

It's almost to the point where UA needs an infusion of $$$ to get people to stick around. We're not in the year 2000, the internet user mentality has greatly changed in the last 10 years. I don't see many people doing this type of thing out of pure love of the game OR the community like we used to 8-9 years ago. Don't get me wrong, those people ARE still out there, it just seems they're harder to find.

Look at it like this - UA is an internet startup. We need a product. We need customers to survive. Without a compelling product, we have no customers. Without no customers, we have no reason to be here. Harsh, I know, but true.
- mauirixxx - UA Wiki Team - Official UA Wiki

#3 zigns

zigns

n00b

• Staff
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

that has been our ongoing problem, is the community participation. I know I just up and disappeared one day with no explanation, but in any case, to answer the 4 questions above ...

1: Man this one is hard to pin down. Besides a truly central repository of general game server config examples and walkthroughs and other miscellaneous info, I almost want to say a lack of patience. Everyone has gotten so used to the internet delivering whatever they want quickly, that when they have to wait a day or a week for well ... anything, really ... they quickly lose patience and either rant & rave about shitty developers or just up and leave and move on to something else. The internet has given us all severe a.d.d.

Something else gaming is lacking, is options. I don't mean games types (fps, top down, rpg, ots) or games in general. I mean stuff like server admin, or stats collecting. And even when there are "options", most of them aren't good OR are basically copycats of each other. There may be lone standouts to the point where it's almost a "standard" that for instance, say you run a TF2 server. What admin program do you use? Sourcemod. Your choice in stats are either Psychostats or a derivative of HLstats. (I'm NOT bashing either product in anyway, they're both awesome products!).

Yeah there's alternatives, but it's to the point of ... why? Why would you want to use something other then SourceMod? And there in lies part of the problem, there's no real options in choice.

2: Currently? The wiki -> forum comments integration, and our coverage of how to install HLDS/SRCDS in both Linux and Windows... What else do we offer on the wiki now?

3: What we did best in the past? HoundDawg got a ton of like-minded people to work together, and brought in various developers to work on their project here, where UA could more easily help support the project, relieving the support burden off the "coders". Anti-cheat was big back in the day, but now what do have for any game? 2 options: Punkbuster, and VAC. Some really good coders have put together some SourceMod plugins to help combat cheating, but they have no support from any game developers it seems (I could be wrong though), and it only works on SRCDS based games.

4: What to improve on over the past? Hard to say. Maybe a business plan, and make it a non-profit group or something. Get a dedicated staff or volunteers to review hardware or games. It seems the only way to survive is to have a business mentality (managers, peons, and whatnot). I think UA tried this route already in the past though, not sure.

It's almost to the point where UA needs an infusion of $$$ to get people to stick around. We're not in the year 2000, the internet user mentality has greatly changed in the last 10 years. I don't see many people doing this type of thing out of pure love of the game OR the community like we used to 8-9 years ago. Don't get me wrong, those people ARE still out there, it just seems they're harder to find.

Look at it like this - UA is an internet startup. We need a product. We need customers to survive. Without a compelling product, we have no customers. Without no customers, we have no reason to be here. Harsh, I know, but true.

Agreed

#4 BonsaiSamurai

BonsaiSamurai

Server Administrator

• Administrators
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Agree on the concept of getting people to UA. Though I don't think running UA like a business makes any sense. Nor does giving people money make sense either. If anything, take the Wikipedia method, 100% community run, no ads, no revenue, and figure out operational costs as needed.

IMHO, we need a 2 parted approach. First, we need to build out the wiki. The more content we have, the more people will visit. The more people that visit, the more content we will get. Second, we need software to drive people to the site. Just like before, having multiple projects will help grow community participation and help drive more projects to UA.

From a technical standpoint, our ability to host projects is fairly expansive (just on the currently available resources). This is not counting additional resources we may gain access to based on community growth. That combined with the excellent work done on the website, forums, and wiki, we have a great service offering that can host a wide range of projects.

-BonsaiSamurai
UnitedAdmins Web and Email Administrator, Cheerleader, and Random Groupie

Ask not what UA can do for you; ask what you can do for UA.

#5 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

We've been dancing this for years. All of the resources have been in place for a year now with pretty much zero activity. The reason why I stopped, is that there is absolutely no way that I can do UA alone. I check the Wiki every now and then and query the recent updates. That's is a clear indication.... as much as everyone here would like to see UA take off again, how come you have not added any content to the wiki?

I've mentioned this quite a bit in the past and mentioned easy ways to drum up ideas and content to add into the wiki, with link backs that would add value to UA, which would then spark community interest. Months of crickets turned to mothballing the site as I just don't have the time to do it all anymore. That run years ago drained me. I poured so much into it, even with all of the help. I simply can't do that again.

Yet, we see another thread circling the same ideas. In the end, it all comes down to value. And to build the value, it requires time and a little work posting articles in the wiki and linking them in responses to server admin questions floating out there on other forums and especially the valve lists.

All of the resources have already been available... they've been here for a year. Not sure what other magic formula you're expecting to come up with to revive UA again. Sitting from this side with a ton of experience from the past and current web development projects... project Phoenix was a success, we had a great start... just not enough around to carry that momentum forward. Not enough people and definitely not enough time for me to do it all.

It doesn't matter where it's all hosted, or who has access to develop the main site, or who is administering the resources if there's nobody doing the work necessary to make it all work. I've seen other communities start and operate on a 1/3 of what UA has had in place for over a year. The problem isn't with the resources, it's with the content contributions and the daily/weekly attention on the valve lists and other forums out there.

Anyway, my 2 cents... take it or toss it into a fountain... whichever you feel will help you achieve your goals better.

#6 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

anything related about the domain move can be discussed here:

http://forums.united...t__0

thx.

#7 Dabb

Dabb

n00b

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Well, if there is going to be some software project, I'm here :yes

Good to see familar names still hanging around, after all these years.

#8 RX1983

RX1983

n00b

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

united admin died for me when he left the counter - strike 1.6, that was the big mistake, and more deadly.

sorry bad inglish
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users