• This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 BonsaiSamurai

BonsaiSamurai

Server Administrator

• Administrators
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Email is still an important part of the business and gaming world. So I figured I would start a thread to discuss UA's use of email. Below are my first few thoughts.

I see that right now all auto-gen emails are coming from HD's email. I think we should switch that to some sort of generic address, if only to keep HD from getting spammed with NDRs and other annoyances.

We used to have a mailman listserv. Should we bring it back? I think it might be nice for news releases and internal announcements (that way, users don't have to check the site constantly for updates). Also, some teams might like it for internal communication.

And what about giving volunteers email addresses? If a certain person's role requires communicating to outside groups (i.e. like a Public/Community/League/etc Relation team) it would be a bit of unprofessional if they used @gmail addresses, rather, have them use an @unitedadmins address.

-BonsaiSamurai
UnitedAdmins Web and Email Administrator, Cheerleader, and Random Groupie

Ask not what UA can do for you; ask what you can do for UA.

#2 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

I see that right now all auto-gen emails are coming from HD's email. I think we should switch that to some sort of generic address, if only to keep HD from getting spammed with NDRs and other annoyances.

For the moment, it's not too bad. In time, it'll definitely need to change.

We used to have a mailman listserv. Should we bring it back? I think it might be nice for news releases and internal announcements (that way, users don't have to check the site constantly for updates). Also, some teams might like it for internal communication.

Not sure how much this is needed. We already have quite a number of communication resources: forums, IRC, steam group, and twitter. The forums offer the "Watch this..." button at the top of forums and topics, which will allow you to be notified of activity and you get a little more control on how/when to get notified. So, if someone wanted to get an email for every news we post, they can just subscribe to that forum. Likewise, I've been re-posting the news to both Tiwtter (@UAUpdate) and the Steam Group. I believe Steam will show a message of the announcement to all those that are logged in (even while playing).

And what about giving volunteers email addresses? If a certain person's role requires communicating to outside groups (i.e. like a Public/Community/League/etc Relation team) it would be a bit of unprofessional if they used @gmail addresses, rather, have them use an @unitedadmins address.

Well, anything beyond a few accounts, and I can see a logistic nightmare for me to manage them through the Pair console, and I'd rather not open that up to others. So, if someone wants to volunteer hosting the UA email, I can add DNS entries pointing to their server.

#3 Banana

Banana

Watch Me Dance...

• Staff
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

I also agree with HD.

we have a lot of sources which users can find information.
I think if HLStats. it has it forum and website. it has also a mailing list, but nobody uses this. (ok hlstats is not that big)

if we manage to get some main rss feed online on the main webiste, in which the main news and important events are listed, the user has a nice and clean resource from wich he can get the information he wants.

the problem will be that if do provide too mich possibilities yust yet, it can happen that we are not able to manage those.

I think let the time decide.

#4 BonsaiSamurai

BonsaiSamurai

Server Administrator

• Administrators
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Well, anything beyond a few accounts, and I can see a logistic nightmare for me to manage them through the Pair console, and I'd rather not open that up to others. So, if someone wants to volunteer hosting the UA email, I can add DNS entries pointing to their server.

Hosted gmail is setup. I have PMed HD the needed DNS changes. I have posted instructions on how-to request an account and setup instructions in the volunteer-only section.

-BonsaiSamurai
UnitedAdmins Web and Email Administrator, Cheerleader, and Random Groupie

Ask not what UA can do for you; ask what you can do for UA.

#5 HoundDawg

HoundDawg

• Staff
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Special thanks to Bonzi for setting up and maintaining the new UA mail system. Further details will be made available to official UA staff members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users